Safety Precautions Encouraged for Rodeo Season
March 02, 2023
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) began its 91st season on Thursday, February 23 with the Rodeo Cook Off. The area surrounding NRG Stadium will see many visitors during the three-week celebration.
During rodeo season, unfortunately, there is typically a rise in criminal activity, including burglary of motor vehicles, thefts and simple assaults, much of which occur in the many parking lots surrounding and serving the HLSR.
UT Police at Houston urges the community to remain vigilant in reporting any suspicious activity and to participate in your safety, on or off campus. If you see any suspicious persons or vehicles, contact UT Police at (713) 792-2890.
Participate in your safety
- Do not leave valuables such as wallets, purses, cell phones, tablets, medications, or gift cards in plain view. Also, avoid stowing valuables or shopping bags in the trunk after you park. Instead, stow them before leaving your prior location.
- Keep your vehicle locked, park in well-lit areas and do not leave your vehicle running unattended. Criminals often target vehicles parked in dark and isolated areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you- especially if you are alone or it is dark. Avoid walking or running alone at night.
- Always walk in well-lit areas and avoid the use of shortcuts or areas with minimal foot traffic.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away.
For information on parking changes during rodeo season in the TMC, read the MD Anderson article here.