Active Shooter Prevention and Response
The course provides faculty and staff with critical guidance on how to recognize and survive an active shooter situation. The course helps attendees identify behaviors of concern that may signal the need for intervention to prevent a violent incident from occurring. With an emphasis on providing people in duress the support services they need, the class also provides information about the institutional resources available and the 2-STOP and STOP program.
To report workplace violence call (713) 792-STOP (7867).
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Know what actions to take when confronted with an active shooter incident.
- Recognize behaviors of concern.
- Prevent and prepare for a potential active shooter incident using Run, Hide, Fight.
- How to manage the consequences of an active shooter incident.
Attendees in a clinical setting will be able to:
- Prevent and prepare for a potential active shooter incident using Avoid, Deny, Defend.
- Prevent or reduce loss of life in an active shooter event using the 4As process.
- Increase chances of survival using ALICE.
Recommended Active Shooter Prevention and Response Videos
Playlist Video 1: Ready Houston - RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving and Active Shooter Event
Playlist Video 2: UT San Antonio - Active Shooter Survival (Avoid, Deny, Defend)
Playlist Video 3: Sandy Hook Promise - Evan
Playlist Video 4: UT Police at Houston - Protecting the Most Vulnerable
Playlist Video 5: TedMed - My Son was a Columbine Shooter. This is my story.
Links for Health Care Providers
FBI - Active shooter planning and response in a healthcare setting
Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency- Hospitals & Healthcare Facilities, Security Awareness for Soft Targets and Crowded Places
The New England Journal of Medicine - Active Shooter Response at a Health Care Facility
Department of Homeland Security - Active Shooter Preparedness
FEMA’s Independent Study course: What you can do
Department of Homeland Security Active Shooter Preparedness
Conducting Security Assessments: A Guide for Schools and Houses of Worship Webinar
Ready Navy active shooter