Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety
Bike Safe, Walk Safe
This course provides faculty, staff and students with an overview of state and local laws regarding bicycling and walking. The course is designed to highlight situations that the user will encounter in the Texas Medical Center (TMC), as well as pertinent information for bicycle commuters to the TMC. With safety as our number one priority, this course is designed for everyone regardless of how you commute around the TMC. You’re guaranteed to learn something in this short informative class. Class sessions may be from 10 to 30 minutes.
Upon completion of this course attendees will be able to:
- Know what laws are applicable to pedestrians and bicyclists
- Discuss some of the top hazards cyclist need to be alert for
- Learn proper locking techniques for your bike
- Learn about resources and advocacy groups in the Houston area
Watch Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Video Playlist
For MD Anderson Workforce Members and Students Only:
Request Bike Storage Access MD Anderson workforce members and students may complete the form linked above to request access to the MD Anderson Bike Centers. The Pickens Academic Tower, the Mid-Campus Building, or Zayed buildings all feature showers and lockers for bike riders.
UTHealth Medical School Building occupants have automatic access to the Medical School bike barn. At this moment, there is no other bike storage for UTHealth students, employees, faculty and staff.
- MD Anderson workforce members and students must complete bike registration online at www.project529.com before requesting access to MD Anderson Bike Centers. Incomplete bike storage access requests may result in your request not being processed.
- UTHealth students, faculty and staff who commute to campus are also encouraged to complete bike registration at www.project529.com.
- UT Police uses the project529.com database to locate missing bicycles.
Houston BCycle – Discounts available for MD Anderson and UTHealth students and employees
Bicycle Safety resources from the Texas Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Bike Safety
TXDOT and METRO pedestrian safety tips
Ideal Bicycle Locking Technique
Ideal Bicycle Locks
Google Maps – use the bicycle route planning feature
Bike Houston – non-profit advocacy group offering maps and other resources
METRO – tips for bringing your bike on the METRO
League of American Bicyclists – Bike security, commuting tips and guidance
Health benefits of cycling
UT Police Bike Safety Flyer